August 12, 2013

I Dare You to be Different

Growing up, I was singled out as being different. I wasn't part of the popular crowd and did my own thing. And, just like every teenager I didn't want that. I didn't want to be unique.

Years later, I learned others had looked up to me because I did my own thing and wasn't part of the cliche.

Today I continue to be unique and be different. I continue because I want people to take notice of me, to seperate my work from others and stand out. I do it because I want to be remembered just like all of those years ago.

When I first chose my writing title, the insane writer, I managed to get it pointed out in a court battle because I'd chosen that name and thought I was insane for doing so! Of course it got thrown out of court as ridiculous as it was, but it sure stirred up a hornet's nest!

Then I was told by another online networking member that the I should change my name because they didn't like it and when I chose not to, they became upset.

Of course I'm always getting told my unique name doesn't fit my personality, but if you knew half of what I've gone through, you'd realize my life in general is certainly crazy enough to fit it. And people remember it. My son has even taken up the name, the insane poet! How cool is that?

There is a quote recently posted on Twitter and retweeted, "You cannot be all things to all people. Be unique. Be different. Give to others what u want yourself...." - Robert Kiyosaki

I think it fits my life very well and I hope it does yours too. If not, stop and think. Especially that last line. I'm by far perfect and still working on the give to equal myself part, but I'm working on it. How about you?