July 22, 2012

Investing in My Life, One Step at a Time

I’ve got to tell you all something. Those who really know me, know that I am the biggest procrastinator in the world. If you didn’t know, now you do! I certainly didn’t get through life by following through with everything. Hell, my life has yet to even begin.

Yep. I’m really starting my life for myself instead of for everyone else, and I’m not005 just talking about my kids, thank you very much. You’re kids are automatically first no matter what. They don’t get put on the back burner. I’m talking everyone else who at one time or another decided I needed to put them first and not me.

Now don’t get me wrong, I do get my work done on time, if not ahead of time when it comes to my job, but if it’s anything else that’s not that important, forget about it. Life is too short.

But slowly I’m starting to open my eyes. You really learn things when you do that whether it’s about the people around you or yourself. You just learn. And then you really open your eyes and start to take notice in life. I started with wanting to invest in my life. I never wanted that before. Not really anyway.

Sure I knew about the financial side of things and investments and such, but to really sit down and decide I want freedom verses working for some big-wig company for the rest of my life just didn’t happen to me right away, and believe me friends tried to show me.

They tried to guide me and some even took my hand and led me there, but I was just like, pffft whatever. I wanted things handed to me on a silver platter. I expected to make a million by doing jack shit. Let me tell you folks, life doesn’t work that way. You have to be willing to work your butt off to get anywhere in this economy.

Heck, one of my very best friends who now makes nearly 2 grand a week is living proof of that. She works her ass off and puts in more hours in a week without much time off. Heck, she didn’t even get vacation time for the longest time. But she finally did it and she’s enjoying all of her hard work.

Another friend works online and doesn’t make nearly as much in a week, but he hasn’t had to go back to a real job in 12 years. He lives a lifestyle that he can still enjoy and can take some time off to spend with his wife, kids and grandkids. How sweet is that?

So my first step is to go back to a full-time job away from here. Keep my freelance writing job and invest in my life. Only step at a time, my friends, but I guarantee it’s going to be work it in the end.