June 5, 2012

Books I Admire

I’m an avid book reader, or used to be. Lately I haven’t had much time for it. But when I do sit down and get a chance to read, there are a few favorites that I will read over and over again. In fact, these happen to be on my bookshelf, which the exception of The Clan of the Cave Bear or the rest of the series!

War Cloud’s Passion by Karen Kay – Who can resist a Native American Love Story. This is one of my favorites from the author because the heroine is a Plain Jane instead of the always beautiful Barbie type model.

There is one scene in particular that Karen writes about, where the heroine is reunited with her own people, only those people don’t even take notice, especially the men, when it comes time for a dance celebration.

In the distance our hero, War Cloud sees this and is angered by their ignorance. Then without hesitation, he comes out of hiding and sweeps her off her feet to dance, not caring who is there to see the two together.

The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton – I fell in love with this book when I was in junior high. My favorite scene is actually the entire book.lol There are just too many good scenes to really pick as a favorite. It’s a classic and will remain on my bookshelf forever.

North and South by John Jakes – What’s not to love out the war and love saga. Another novel that has so many great scenes and wonderful characters!

Where the Heart is by Billie Letts – This is one of those novels where you just want to cry through the entire thing and then cheer at the very end. There are so many great scenes, but one that sticks out in particular I actually wrote about in my post, Superman and Lois.

The Clan of the Cave Bear by Jean M. Auel – Ayla a young girl of a different tribe is taken in and raised by an enemy tribe where she sees herself as an equal to the hunters and is viewed as an outsider by the tribe’s son. My favorite scene in this novel is actually when she is learning to be a medicine woman and goes to a gathering where she meets Brug, who despite that she is different, takes a love interest in her. However, the scene is short-lived because during a fight event where young men are pit against a large beastly bear, she rushes into the arena to help a fallen fighter and is almost killed herself, until Brug comes to her aide and dies fighting to save her.