November 16, 2011

To HEELY or not to HEELY that is the question this Insane Writer wants to know, and my review of the shoes, of course

A few weeks ago I had the honor of receiving a pair of HEELYS.  If you are not familiar with HEELYS, they are tennis shoes that you can wheel around in when you use the included wheels that can be placed in the heels of the shoe. And when you’re not able to use the wheels they can be popped out with the included tool and replaced with their plugs for walking.
HEELYS are a little similar to Rollerblades, only you use your heel to glide around with. The shoes come in several different colors and as you can see from my photo I chose pink and black. The first time I tried them on I will be honest, they were a little difficult to get used to.
Photo1472
But what I didn’t know is that there’s actually a HEELYS Safety Playbook, which I think what has been really helpful had I had this knowledge when I first received my shoes.
7740-Sparkler-300x300However, I must say these are wonderful we have errands to run and don’t want to drive your vehicle to do so.  A great resource to help save our environment and make it a GREENER world! They’re also great when you just want to get out of the house on a nice day.
A few things I should note from my own experience with the HEELYS.  One being, it is very difficult to glide up a hill with these.  Also, be very careful going down hills until you get used to the shoes.  You can easily brake just by putting your foot down, but going down hill and suddenly braking can be a disaster unless you are very familiar with these shoes.
Also, I must caution that if you have bad ankles you’re probably better off not using these, or if you must have a pair, use extra caution when gliding around on7698-Dash-300x300 these with bad ankles. With that being said, I did learn that there’s also a HEELYS General Guide to help get you started. In addition, here is a link to some General HEELYS Skating Info, which includes some how-to videos for using the shoes.

A few other things you might be interested in knowing, Heelys is throwing a Black Friday special!! Between Nov 25-Nov 28, Buy any pair of Heelys, get the second pair for $25. Or buy a Nano, and get a pair of shoes for $25, and get free ground shipping on all orders! This special would be great as a Christmas gift idea for loved one.  I know that when I got my HEELYS my stepdaughter was determined that she wanted mine and hasn’t let up on it since then.
Despite my few mishaps with this product, I am actually very happy with it.  I am looking forward to using them when the weather allows me to and I would recommend them to anyone who loves skating or would like to try something fun for simple exercise.
Disclosure Statement: HEELYS sent me a pair of their shoes to review.