March 11, 2011

The PR Campaign in My Dreams!

Lately I've been making a to-do list on a daily basis. I found that when I do this I'm able to complete my tasks much more efficiently. One of the tasks that I've been meaning to accomplish is creating a PR campaign. I've been doing a lot of research on press release and I found that it seems to be much more effective than traditional marketing. One of the most important things that I discovered about creating a PR campaign is to start locally in my own hometown of Independence, Kansas.

A while back I was talking to one of the ladies who is in charge of our local library and because she had learned that I'm a writer, she offered to promote my novel at the library when I do finally publish it. I believe it's a great start in creating an effective PR campaign.

However, I live in a small town, and I'm sure that there are many other women who've wondered if they can create an effective PR campaign locally when they live in a small community. While in my opinion, the answer is definitely yes! In addition to my local library, we have a bookstore, a hallmark card shop, a coffee shop, and many other small businesses who would be very willing to help promote my novel. So you see it's certainly not impossible to work in a small community when creating an effective PR campaign.

Another great idea is to talk to your local non-profit organizations that are in the same category as what ever product you are trying to promote. For example one of the non-profit organizations in my hometown that I am a part of is an organization called Equality for Southeast Kansas which supports those who have been discriminated against or have been simply outcasted because they are different. And a good example of promoting a product for this type of organization could easily be as simple as a book about self-esteem.

Keep in mind however, that simply promoting a product is not enough. One of the best ways to get people interested in what you are trying to offer or have to say, is to simply tell people you're story. And by telling people your story, I'm talking about how your product came about. But if you don't really have a reason behind your product, you could just offer a simple message behind your product.

I know for me my story is a simple as I've always wanted to be a writer, even at a very early age. I found that writing stories was an escape for me throughout my school years when I was an outcast because of my shyness and my family. In fact, I loved writing so much, that I would write during my other classes when I was actually supposed to be doing my work. I could go on about my love for writing, but I think you get the idea.

So my next goal at least for me and I hope for you as well if you haven't done so already, is to create a press release! I hope you'll join me on this quest to accomplish the next step in creating our dreams and goals!


Joy Smith also known as The Insane Writer, is the author of the Sci-Fi novel, The Generation. You can email her at silent_beautie@yahoo.com She can also be found on Twitter @theinsanewriter.



WomenFreebies.com - Enter to Win Royal Secret II Perfume