November 18, 2010

My Healthy Independence, Kansas Version of Fried Okra

I love okra and during the summer months we see a lot of it here in Independence, Kansas. But, while for the most part it's considered a healthy vegetable, most of us end up dipping into a not so good for you batter and deep frying it into an unhealthy version.

Well, not me! In fact, I can't stand deep fried anything! But it doesn't stop me from loving, and yes eating okra. So, when the Independence, Kansas farmer's market comes around every summer, I make my own healthier version by lightly coating the vegetable in sea salt, cayenne pepper and olive oil. Then, I heat it in a skillet set on medium heat until the okra is tender. The result is a healthy, yet delicious version of fried okra!





Joy Smith also known as The Insane Writer, is the author of the Sci-Fi novel, The Generation. You can email her at silent_beautie@yahoo.com She can also be found on Twitter @theinsanewriter and you visit her official website at www.theinsanewriter.com.



WomenFreebies.com - Enter to Win Royal Secret II Perfume