September 9, 2010

My Review of the book, Skinny is Overrated - The Real Women's Guide to Health and Happiness at Any Size

Just last month I was sent a copy of the book, “Skinny is Overrated - The Real Women’s Guide to Health and Happiness at Any size” by Danielle Milano, M.D. My first glance at the book had me thinking that you wouldn’t need to really go on a diet in order to be healthy and happy. That you could cheat your way through life. Boy was I wrong! Well, sort of.

As Dr. Milano explains, you need to eat healthy in order to maintain a healthy body. And what better way than by consuming a Mediterranean diet. Okay, so really, there’s more to Dr. Milano’s beliefs than just a Mediterranean diet. You’ve also got to be willing to eat in moderation and exercise. But, as she tells it, there are other factors to consider as well.

For example, you need to know about your heritage because believe it or not, it can effect your body’s structure. Dr. Milano also talks about those junk foods we love so well, like those that contain nothing but empty calories and offer no nutrition whatsoever. Foods that are altered and made with chemicals and artificial ingredients, and how they’re not good for our bodies. Our ancestors would be ashamed.

She also discusses the importance of vitamins, good fats and chocolate! Yep, chocolate -but of course in moderation! Okay, so maybe this diet could be worth trying for a little while. And then there are the Mediterranean recipes she includes in the book to help you get started.

While I’m not sure I’d want to live on a Mediterranean diet for the rest of my life, I did find that Dr. Danielle Milano makes a wonderful point about not having to be skinny just as long as you’re fit and healthy. And of course happy! And the book is definitely worth checking out in my opinion. So I guess that means my wide hips inherited from my grandmother are perfect after all!



Joy Smith also known as The Insane Writer, is the author of the Sci-Fi novel, The Generation. You can email her at silent_beautie@yahoo.com She can also be found on Twitter @theinsanewriter and you visit her official website at www.theinsanewriter.com.WomenFreebies.com - Enter to Win Royal Secret II Perfume