January 4, 2010

Review For Mr. Darcy Broke My Heart By Beth Pattilo


Most people already know that I am very picky when it comes to the novels I read and review. I usually lean towards self-help non-fiction books and Native American and paranormal romance novels. So when I was asked to do a review for the novel, "Mr. Darcy Broke My Heart" By Beth Pattilo (author of Jane Austin Ruined My Life), I wasn't so sure that I wanted to at first.

However, after spending some time away from home on a farm out in the middle of nowhere, I found myself quickly drawn to the idea of a some reading time and found myself glued to the novel.

I was intrigued by the character Claire Prescott simply because she reminded me a little of myself. Claire who just happens to get talked into going to a Jane Austin seminar halfway around the world by her sister, just doesn't see what all the fuss is over Mr. Darcy, a character from the author's novel, "Pride and Prejudice." Is is because she just doesn't believe in the idea of romance? Maybe since it seems her own relationship with her boyfriend is just dull and boring.

Or maybe it's something else, like the sudden infatuation of a mysterious man who finds Jane's Mr. Darcy just as uninteresting, but seems to have his sights set on Claire herself. And maybe it does help that Claire finds herself in possession of a lost manuscript from Jane Austin that could be the fall of "Pride and Prejudice" and Mr. Darcy's character forever.

Whatever it the reason, Jane Austin certainly has Claire rethinking her own life and the life of Mr. Darcy as well! And just as Claire can relate to Jane's characters, I can relate to Claire herself as I am sure a lot of female readers will be able to do.

If you've ever given your life a second thought, this is definitely a must read. And if you're a Jane Austin fan this is most certainly a must read, if not for the intriguing storyline and the lost manuscript, most definitely for Jane Austin herself! With a little bit of romance, mystery and soul-searching, "Mr. Darcy Broke My Heart" is the perfect blend of a perfectly fantastic novel for Jane Austin and Beth Pattilo fans everywhere.

Bravo to author Beth Pattilo for a job well done. You certainly have my vote and the vote of my 14 year old niece who loved the novel as well!