January 12, 2010

Free Coupons No Longer Valid With Stores?

Not too long ago I was sent four coupons from General Mills for free cereal thanks to myblogspark. It was a wonderful opportunity for me to pick up extra cereal (cheerios) for 5 hungry kids and I can find a few of their boxes of cereal to be healthy.

Here's a little information from General Mills:

General Mills has announced a commitment to further reduce sugar in cereals advertised to kids under 12 to single digit grams of sugar per serving. The company has already been reducing sugar in cereals while increasing key nutrients, such as calcium and vitamin D, and providing whole grain.


Did you know that ready-to-eat cereal eaters consume less fat, less cholesterol and more fiber than non-cereal eaters? Cereals also deliver important vitamins, minerals and other essential nutrients, making cereal a top source of key nutrients in children´s diets.

Other cereal benefits:

* Ready-to-eat cereals, including presweetened cereals, account for only 5% of sugar in children´s diets.

* Ready-to-eat cereal is the No. 1 source of whole grains in a child´s diet today.

* More frequent cereal eaters tend to have healthier body weights and lower Body Mass Index measures.

Studies also demonstrate the benefits of eating breakfast. A 1998 study showed that children who eat breakfast tend to perform better at school. Compared to children who skip breakfast, children who eat breakfast score higher on tests, are less likely to miss class or be tardy, have fewer reported discipline problems, and make fewer trips to the office.

***********

However, when I cashed in one of those coupons at my local supermarket I was told they don't take printed coupons from the internet. Ummm a printed internet coupon? I don't think so! It took me about 5 minutes of explaining to the manager and showing him the watermark seal that they were not an internet printed coupon, but in the end he finally gave in.

So after the issue there, I decided to try our local wal-mart supercenter and see if they would except the coupons. Their response was, "We're sorry, but we no longer except any coupons that offer free products because we don't make money from them." Huh? Okay, I'd already had a problem with this before on specific freebie items, but now they were saying they won't take any and I'm seriously wondering how they don't make money off of the coupons. Maybe they've had too many fake ones is my best guess.

Well, despite both supermarkets turning down my best deal yet thanks again to General Mills and myblogspark, I'm off to try using the remainder of the two coupons in the next town when I visit family. I'll let you know how it goes.

So now I am wondering, do any of you have problems cashing in on freebie coupons? If so, what businesses have declined them? Or have you found places that accept them? I would love to list places that do and don't take these type of coupons. Maybe it will save a lot of parents a little more time and a lot less frustration!



WomenFreebies.com - Enter to Win Royal Secret II Perfume



Please Note: While I did receive 4 coupons for free boxes of General Mills cereal from myblogspark, I was not paid to write this post.