December 29, 2009

Sometimes Holidays Are Forgettable


Now that Christmas has come and gone, here's hoping everyone had a wonderful holiday.

This year Christmas was actually forgotten in this house. Not for the kids or my husband, just myself. Am I angry? No. Am I upset? No. Should I be? In others' opinions, probably so. (my oldest son even used the word asshole) In my opinion -no, because I just don't care.

I'm not sure why really. Maybe it's the idea of tiring over the disappointment of holidays and special occasions not being ignored, or maybe it's something else. Still, it doesn't matter. What did matter was spending time with my husband, the kids and his family, which almost didn't happen.

And after finally being able to do just that, I found myself out in the middle of nowhere without a phone signal (which angered some family members and I definitely heard about it!), listening to the coyotes howl at night and wondering why we were spending more time away from family than with them. I mean wasn't that why we were there? Isn't that what the holidays are all about?

I certainly think so. And what about throwing a Christmas Eve Party or Christmas Day get-together where you can simply enjoy those special moments with loved ones, rather than arguing over how much money was spent on gifts, why your spouse hasn't immediately put antifreeze in the vehicle when it's really too cold to go outside and you could just as easily do it yourself, or spending your time putting down your spouse's family right in front of your spouse, or finding yourself rushing off because you think you have better things to do than spend time with yours or your spouse's family. I really could go on and on, but you get the picture.

Maybe next year if you haven't done so already, you'll find the time to slow down and realize we only have one life to live, or maybe you'll realize that right now rather than later.

Spend your moments with loved ones, without the fights and feuds. Forget about your selfish or worry about this and that self for once and just LIVE!