December 17, 2009

The Gap That Makes Me an Ugly Duckling

A lot of people have never seen me truly smile. I chose to hide that smile as much as possible when I was young because I have this gap (big enough I can slide my tongue in between it) between my two front teeth. To make matters worse I also have a few crooked teeth in the front and an overbite.

Now you might say it's no big deal, but when you're a child and you're ignored or made fun of because of your smile it really is a big deal. I've had locks thrown at me, my head shoved in a toilet and my pants dropped in the middle of the hallway in between classes because of that smile.

And even today I have had people make fun of it or shy away from me because of it. At one time I had someone tell me that I needed to put a piece of bubble gum in between my two front teeth to hide the ugliness. I'm older and wiser and sucked that one up, but every now and then comments like those do get to me.

I know I'm a big girl, but there are kids out there who should never have to go through what I did growing up. No one should no matter who they are, what they look like, etc. And as far as dental work, there's nothing mother nature can do and nothing we can do on our own to correct a smile.

That's why I love dentists who believe in helping those with low self-esteem due to their smile, soar. Like the Plano cosmetic dentist who I would thank in person if I could just because I know others are smiling with a brand new future thanks to dental work.

Hey, I may never get my smile fixed for the lack of funds, but at least it's nice knowing a dentist cares about someone's smile who can afford the dental work! So thank you for brightening their day.