September 29, 2009

Once in a Blue Moon

Not too long ago I was given the opportunity to review Author Eileen Goudge's latest novel, Once in a Blue Moon. Okay first let me be really honest. I'm not big into just any romance novel (isn't that insane?) and well this one... is really more about the relationship of two sisters. Still, when I first heard about the book it intrigued me.

So imagine having to raise yourself when you're just a kid and then having to raise your baby sister when you're still just a kid. Well, that's what happens to Lindsay who must care for her sister Kerrie Ann since their mother isn't responsible enough to be a parent. The good news is, Lindsay is not alone and with an ex-stripper's help, she is able to keep Kerrie Ann safe from harm for the most part.

But then, her mother is arrested for dealing drugs and the girls are sent to foster care and placed in separate homes. And while Lindsay finds a family who loves and nurtures her, Kerrie Ann isn't so lucky and soon takes the same path as her mother, losing her own child in the process.

Now, Kerrie Ann needs help and her sister whom she hasn't seen in thirty years is her only hope to regain custody of her daughter and get her life straight. But the sisters clash in almost every way possible making things very difficult. While Lindsay is calm and soft-hearted, Kerrie Ann is loud and speaks her mind even when it isn't for the best.

In the end, the sisters must not only fight for what they each believe in, they must also fight to regain the sisterhood they once had and so desperately need.

It was wonderful to see that Author Eileen Goudge kept most of the characters from the past into the present and didn't change them too much. While there was some differences, there wasn't a big wow shocker when it came to the characters or the plot. And while I did enjoy reading Once in a Blue Moon, I must admit I wasn't too fond of Kerrie Ann's boyfriend having an almost exact background as Kerrie herself.

I understand the need for acceptance and needing a way to bring that into the story, but it just didn't seem real enough. Also if you walk into a drug dealer's house and haven't been on the loop in years, the dealer isn't going to fear you and give out whatever information you want without a fight no matter how much of an idiot he really is. So there were some moments that just weren't really believable.

Other than that, I thought the storyline was really good and I liked the characters. Lindsay I can actually relate to and oddly enough Kerrie Ann's character happens to be my best friend. So if you're looking for a little bit of romance and sisterly drama, I'd say this book is right up your alley! Bravo Eileen for a novel well done!
If you want to know more about the book or the author you can visit Eileen on Facebook or you can add her to Twitter. Now if that's not enough to keep fans happy, I don't know what is!