July 23, 2009

The Night

Allie climbed into the sleep number bed with a sigh and pulled the covers up over her. She wasn’t tired. There was so much more she wanted to ask Matt. Finally she said, “It seems so strange not to be at home in my own bed.”

“Oh Yeah?” Matt said.

“Who are you really?” She asked.

“What do you mean?” He asked startled.

"I mean who are you? Why did someone try to kill you?" She asked.

"You sure do ask a lot of questions." he said.

He was avoiding her question, but she wasn't about to give up that easily. “Who are you Matt?" She asked again.

"Get some sleep." He replied.

"You don’t trust me do you?" She said.

"It’s not that." He said with a sigh.

"Then what is it?" she asked him.

"It’s me. That’s all." he said. It wasn’t an answer and he knew it, but she didn’t want to push him away further, so she closed her eyes and listened to the sound of his heavy breathing.

But it wasn't too long before she found herself saying, "I know this maybe crazy, but I care about you. I just don’t want you to get hurt."

The sounds of Matt's snoring was her only response, so she smiled and closed her eyes once more. Soon Allie found herself drifting off to sleep while below her, Matt stared at the ceiling wide awake and lost in his own thoughts and the words she had spoken only moments before.