December 8, 2008

XR and John Chow Giving Away $6000 for a Wonderful Cause

When I first decided to launch an official site, I worried that the URL would be too long. Then, I realized that it wasn't so bad compared to my blogger url. For those that have blogger accounts you could easily redirect your url using a domain name, but what if you can't afford a domain name?

If you're like me and trying to make ends meet, XR.com allows you to create a TINY URL for free.
All you need to do is head to their website and sign up for an account. There are no fees involved. Once you have signed up, you can type in your blogger URL and reduce it to a smaller link for visitors to click on.

Once a visitor clicks on that URL it takes you to your page. Through XR's website you can select whether you want your page to be framed or non-framed. For those that want to keep the page framed, visitors can easily click a link that will allow them to remove the frame from your page.

You can also use them to shorten all of your bookmark links if you wanted to. For me, it really doesn't make much of a difference whether they are short or long.

The only disadvantage that I saw with this company is that my page took a few seconds longer than normal to load. This might be a problem if you use dial up, however for those that use anything faster it shouldn't be very noticeable.

Now, the best part about XR is they are giving away $6,000 along with the help of my favorite blogging entrepreneur John Chow. $5,000 will go to a charity of your choice and the remaining $1,000 can be spent on whatever you want to spend it on. Deadline for the giveaway is December 24th and the winner will be drawn on December 27th.

Now I'm really not expecting to win, but if I did I think I would want the $5,000 to go locally to the food bank here in Independence, Kansas. I'm not even sure that is possible, but I think it would be a wonderful way for our small town to share with those here who do not have enough food for the holidays.

Each year the Independence, Kansas food bank runs out of food around Christmas and they are always needing donations. Unfortunately we're a small town, so not many people are able to help as much as they would like. And with the economy in shambles, more and more people are losing their jobs or they are being laid off until next year.

I think donating to the bigger charities is wonderful, but there are some smaller charities who need just as much help as the bigger ones do and $5,000 would do so much for our community!