December 20, 2008

Cooking Up Dinner

I rarely use premixed seasonings. I have found that they contain way too much salt and additives that I can't even pronounce. Instead, I make my own seasonings. It's just as easy and takes no time at all, especially if you make it in larger batches ahead of time.

Tonight I'm making nachos. I can't eat ground beef, so we use ground turkey as a substitute. Of course any really good nachos requires a taco seasoning for flavor. So here is a recipe I came across online that is perfect. If you try it, let me know what you think!

Taco Seasoning
(Makes enough for 10 uses)

* 1 tablespoon chili powder
* 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
* 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
* 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
* 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
* 1/2 teaspoon paprika
* 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
* 1 teaspoon sea salt
* 1 teaspoon black pepper


In a small bowl, mix together chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, red pepper flakes, oregano, paprika, cumin, salt and pepper. Store in an airtight container.