October 7, 2008

Watching My Health


Lately I have been doing a lot of research on vitamins and minerals and how they can affect your health. For instance, did you know that not all vitamins and minerals are real? Many of the cheap ones that we buy to save money, actually contain chemicals and other additives that are not good for our bodies.

So, since I have started the research, my eyes have been open to a whole new world. I've been doing better and watching what I've been eating and I've been exercising more with walking and yoga.

One of the problems that I found out I had later in life is a heart murmur. While it can be common it a lot of people it does cause concern for me since I've been having a lot of chest pain lately and heart disease runs in my family. So, when I do anything beyond normal walking, I am extremely out of breath. Even 5 minutes of yoga will leave me gasping for air.

Sometimes when I can hear and feel my heart rate shoot up, I'm able to count how fast my heart is beating. Other times I can't even tell, even when I check for a pulse on my neck or wrist. It's just very faint and not really there.

One of the products I just discovered is what's known as a pulse oximeter. This little gadget can tell you how fast your pulse is beating per a minute. Neat idea and great for anyone wanting to keep an eye on their heart rate before and after working out!

The only downfall I saw was the price. I don't know too many people who would be willing to spend nearly $200 for one of those little gadgets! They do have one for less than $50 which is better as far as price range, but if you're on a budget like me, you'll probably be thinking twice on purchasing one! Still, it's a cool idea, especially if you're able to afford one.