October 16, 2008

Shall We Dance

This was an exercise that I did for a writing group I once belonged to. I've actually thought about including it in one of my stories. Let me know what you think.


"Shall we dance?" He asked under the soft glow of the moonlight. At first I nodded, thinking of the times when we had been so perfect together as if it had been just yesterday. His deep green eyes twinkled in delight and a smile slowly crossed his lips. I responded with a smile and he extended his hand out towards mine with a slight bow. "Then shall we?" I nodded once more, my thoughts still lost to what seemed like not so long ago. As my hand reached for his, my thoughts suddenly fast forward to another time, one of great heartache and pain. I looked up into those deep green eyes, remembering the truth of not so long ago. My smile fades, but his smile remains. "It is alright my beloved." I watched as he slowly leaned down and kissed my hand. I can no longer hold back the tears as I watched him straighten, his form blending in with the moonlight's soft glow. "I will wait for you, always." I watched as he slowly faded away in the quiet reflection of the moonlight, only this time I know in my heart this is forever.