October 2, 2008

Let Them Be Happy. Let Them Live

In my 33 years of living, I have came across a lot of interesting people. Many now that I consider as friends. Some have the perfect bodies and are always complaining about this and that, while others are not so perfect and find themselves being treated differently, when in this insane world, they are not so different from you and I.

The one thing that really bothers me is when parents treat children with disabilities as if they are incapable of being as equal to their siblings or family. A few days ago I was talking with a dear friend of mine who is like a big sister to me. Well, in reality she is my big sister, despite the fact that we do not share the same blood. She has Cerebral Palsy. While cerebral palsy can have a crippling affect on the body, it does not have a crippling affect on the mind or the heart.

Yet, her family treats her as if it does. They assume that because she is in a wheelchair, she cannot think for herself, which is entirely untrue! So during some social events, she is left in a corner and ignored. And if she tries to stand up for herself and say, HEY I'M HERE! in her own way, the one way she is able to communicate is taken away, her computer. Now what makes me even more angry is that this beautiful sis of mine is older than I am!

She has never even been in a relationship, simply because her family will not allow it. What makes them think they have every right to live her life. She is not happy because she cannot be herself, yet when she tries to express that, they get angry with her. It makes me ill to know that there are parents who refuse to allow their children to be the best that they can be. Please, take your blinders off. Let your children be themselves. Let them be happy. It's their life, not yours.