August 20, 2008

Who Called Me?


Lately I have been getting a lot of numbers calling my phone and I have no idea who they are. Sometimes I will answer the call and sometimes I will let it pick up by voicemail. That is if they decide to leave one. Other times I simply miss the call. When that happens and there's no voicemail, I do get curious and want to know who called me.

To cure my curiosity, I go online and use a reverse phone book service similar to TraceNumber.com. Since tracenumber is new to me, I decided to give them a try verses my old service. The idea behind tracenumber is that when you type in a number they can give you the name and address of the person that number is listed under.

I don't have any recent mystery calls so just for the fun of it I did a search on my own phone number. While they didn't give me my address or name, they did show where the carrier comes from and that it is a cell phone. But since it is a cell phone, the results I kind of expected. See for yourself:

State: Kansas
County: Montgomery
City: Coffeyville
Line Type: Cell Phone
Phone Carrier: Kansas City Smsa Limited Partnership

Since the above is typical for cell phones, I decided to give them a go again with my aunt's house number and found the same problem.

State: Kansas
County: Montgomery
City: Coffeyville
Line Type: Landline
Phone Carrier: Southwestern Bell

Then I had a friend try his house number. The results?

State: Missouri
County: Jackson
City: Kansas City
Line Type: Landline
Phone Carrier: Southwestern Bell Mo

Also, the phone carrier is wrong. Southwestern Bell is now AT&T. So while all of the above had very minimum results I was wondering how someone would be able to get the address and name of a person if they needed it?

Well, as it turns out, after the results of the phone number lookup are given, you are able to get the name and address for a fee. I guess this might be okay if you really needed the information. For me however, it's not really worth my time. What do you think? Would you be willing to use TraceNumber for a price?