July 21, 2008

Transforming a Lamp

We have no lighting in the living room so when I stopped at a yard sale that a church was having last Saturday, I splurged and found a brass floor lamp for $5. It's rare that I splurge for such things, but I didn't think the $5 was a really big thing and as it turns out, it wasn't.

The lamp has been tarnished badly, however. So when we went on our usual grocery shopping trip I picked up some brasso to clean the lamp with. I had originally tried a homemade mixture of flour, salt and vinegar. While the mixture did do some good, the tarnish is so bad that it needed a little ooomph. So I spent $2 for the brasso and boy is it working wonders! I am so excited and can't wait to show you! I will take some before and after photos to show the transformation. So all in all I spent $7 for the lamp. It's a very heavy lamp too. Not one of those cheap wal-mart made lamps.

I really don't know how old the lamp is, but I was told that it came out of an old building here in town. I am so excited and can't wait to show you the transformation results!