July 7, 2008

Kids and Life Insurance. Should We?


Life insurance is a necessity when you're on your own as an adult in this insane world, but what about when it comes to kids? Is life insurance for kids really necessary? It's one of those things that has become somewhat of a debate.

Chances are for most parents, life insurance for the kids is the farthest thing from their mind. The reason for this is because:

1) They don't see anything happening to their kids and who can blame them? Who wants to think about their kids dying?

2) Most life insurance ends at the age of 18. If your kids are still around that life insurance becomes void.

So is it really worth it? Maybe. Remember Jessica (Boey) Byers the little girl with cancer that was featured on the television show, Extreme Makeover: Home Edition? I don't think I need to really prove a point with the sad loss of a beautiful little girl and I'm sure you get the point already.

In my opinion life insurance for kids is really a personal decision every parent should make on their own. Weigh the positives and negatives and decide from there. Will I get life insurance for my kids? No. My reason is because I don't want to think about anything ever happening to my kids. Ever. Period end. But that's my reason, my choice, not yours. What do you think? Do you see life insurance for kids as a good or a bad thing?