July 28, 2008

Computers and Career Training

I have a really good friend who knows a lot more about computers and web design than I do. It makes me wonder is she certified as an IT? Does she have a Cisco certification? I know that being certified, as an IT right now is a big plus. Technology has gone to the computers and I don't think it's going to slow down anytime soon.

But, is it necessary to have a certification in IT? Will you be hired without it? Chances are the answer is no. Without some sort of degree or certification, most businesses aren't interested in hiring you. They want to make sure you know your IT knowledge and that you can get the job done right, the first time. This goes for pretty much any job field that you are interested in getting into. Without some sort of certification, you probably won't get as far as you would like to in your chosen career field.

So what about a Cisco certification? How far can you get with that? Cisco offers three levels of IT certifications and six different career paths, so I'd say that is pretty darn far! The coolest part is, Cisco offers a certification in design. So, now I really wonder what my friend would think about Cisco.

Interestingly enough, I have knowledge of design. But, do I have a degree? Nope. I chose not to because I never thought it would be a big booming career field. I figured it would flop eventually. However, it's still going strong.

What do you think? Is an IT certification something you'd consider? If you're already certified, would you recommend it to anyone who loves computers and technology?

Sponsored by Cisco