June 26, 2008

What's For Lunch?

As usual it's a thursday and that usually means bare cabinets, but I'm actually not headed to the store for another week. Last week I made a trip to the store and covered two weeks worth of groceries. I am running low on options for lunch, however.

So today I decided to make a turkey and roasted red pepper sandwich. Usually my sandwiches consist of meat and cheese. Since cheese isn't an option for a while, (due to hubby's diet) I decided to make a sauce for my sandwich. I love spicy food, so I decided a spicy sauce would be really yummy for my sandwich.

After doing some surfing for a yummy recipe, I found this one:

Chipotle Sauce:

1/3 cup sour cream, preferably reduced-fat
3 Tbsp. mayonnaise, preferably reduced-fat
2 Tbsp. freshly squeezed lime juice
1 Tbsp. canned chipotle chiles (about 1 chile)
2 cloves garlic
1/2 tsp. chili powder

Directions:
Combine all the chipotle sauce ingredients in a blender or small food processor and process until smooth. The sauce will thicken slightly as it stands and will keep for 2 to 3 weeks in the refrigerator.

Since sour cream is something I rarely have anymore on hand, I just omitted it. Also I used chipotle powder instead of the canned version. Even without the sour cream and with the difference in chiptole flavoring, the sauce turned out very yummy! If anyone tries this recipe as it is, I would love to know what you think.