June 23, 2008

Saving Money and Hormone Issues Thanks to the Kansas Cows

Since we still have the rental car until this evening, yesterday I made a trip to the grocery store. Normally we go to the store at least once a week, but because gas prices have gone insane, I decided to stock up for a few weeks worth of groceries.

Usually I spend on an average about $100 a week for groceries, but this time I only spent a little under $40 a week. That's really good, especially since our cabinets were completely bare! I managed to save quite a bit because I ended up cutting out beef and dairy entirely. Instead, I stocked up on soy milk and cheese, fish, turkey and veggie meatless crumbles. I didn't do this to save money either. I did it because my husband and I think he may have a hormonal imbalance (which could explain his mood swings, lack of energy and foggy memory lately). I was doing some research about hormonal imbalance in both men and women and learned that one of the major culprits could be due to the chemicals and hormones that manufacturers add to beef and milk.

I honestly don't know if it will really make a difference, but it's a healthier choice in the long run anyhow.