June 3, 2008

A Possibility of a Big Move

Now that things are a little more out in the open and life has calmed down a bit, I can explain my other reason for leaving my job. There is a big possibility that we are moving.

About 3 weeks ago my husband and I got a possible job offer in California. It would mean a big relocation, but it could very well be worth it. At first my husband had cold feet about the offer because it's an all new world for him and a lot more expensive. However, this job may have just came at a really good time. A few days ago Independence, Kansas announced its closing of the Cement Plant. When this happens, over 100 people will be without a job. That wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for the fact that we are a small town and several other companies here in Independence, Kansas just announced lay-offs. 3 really big companies to be exact and one of them happens to be my husband's. When that happens over 1000 people will be without jobs. That's a lot of people for a small town!

When my husband found out about the layoff, at first he thought it was a rumor and ignored it. But now that it has been confirmed my husband is in somewhat of a panic. If he's laid off we won't be able to afford this house, even if we got another job here.

So, he called his mom who lives in Kansas City, only to learn that they're dealing with the same problems up there. It's because of the economy and most people are just now starting to realize that it's real. Companies are not willing to pay decent wages and if they are, they expect you to work 3 or 4 jobs for that same pay. That's what happen to my mother-in-law and that's another reason I left my job. I was not only a guest attendant, I was also a housekeeper, lobby cleaner, laundry aid and assistant manager getting paid minimum wage. Not minimum wage per a job, minimum wage for all of the jobs.

So, it's a big reason we're considering the job in California. The area is Redondo Beach. If we don't head there, we would go to Kansas City or Nevada. My husband used to gold mine with his uncle's company, so that's another big possibility as well.

I will keep you posted on what happens. We're waiting for a call back from California.