May 4, 2008

The Google Error That Nearly Cost Me

A few weeks ago I began noticing that my links began dropping through google. At first I didn't find it to be a big deal, but then after it continued to drop over the next several days, I began to worry.

The first thing I did was, I joined some new social networks and stopped by some new blogs. The networking has been great, but it didn't seem to stop my links from dropping. So, I decided to check out google's tools to see where exactly I was going wrong.

As it turns out, it wasn't a problem on my end. Apparently google had stopped crawling my pages, leaving only the most recent page in their search engine. When I wrote a new post, google would then take down the old post and put up the new one. While google's publicity for my latest post was great, it didn't help in promoting any of my other posts for very long.

After finding the problem and fixing the error, all seems to be working once again. As a matter of fact, I noticed last night that my google rank went from a 0 to a 2. How insane is that?