July 9, 2007

My Hometown, Flooding and My Uncle...

It's been a long night for me. For the most part, I spent it talking to my Aunt and then breaking bad news to my mother. My hometown of Coffeyville, Kansas as most may know was partially destroyed by flooding and contamination. Originally I called to check on my aunt who lives there. While my aunt is safe and sound, I learned that my uncle is recovering as a victim of the recent flooding. On Friday, my uncle was unreachable at the motel he was staying at on the east side of town. Apparently he'd been asleep until he heard a disturbance outside his door. Not thinking anything of it, he opened the door to his room and was washed into the flooding waters that were already way too high. The only thing that saved his life was a tree that he'd attached himself to and stayed the night in. The next day a rescue team found him, alive thankfully. He was hospitalized and is now home with my aunt, recovering. He's pretty banged up and is unable to walk, but he's alive! As ironic as it is, in the same motel, a man died because he refused to leave his motel room. Sigh. I am just thankful it was not my uncle.