July 21, 2007

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Release Party

Even though we are in a small town, there are times when places like our local library decides to do fun events for the kids like, the release party for "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows." The party was from 9pm until 12am and consisted of the movie, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, door prizes, a costume contest and a drawing for the release of the book, "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows."

When we arrived the kids were asked to fill out a quiz to determine which area of the Harry Potter Class that they would belong to. Each child got to wear a hat and had their picture taken and then they were lead into a viewing room for the movie. Unfortunately we were only able to view about half of the movie before the librarians decided time was running out and it was time to move onto the games.

Each class answered questions to compete for a prize which happened to be a book light. The youngest of our kids won and then we were treated to a jelly bean contest which somehow I got roped into.lol I ended up in the final round. Tasting and guessing jelly bean flavors like pepper and buttered popcorn. In the end, a kid won... Which I was glad. I would have felt odd winning the poster they were giving as a prize since it was a kid's party and I wasn't really a kid.

Afterwards, the library drew names for 20 books to be checked out for the final book, "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows." A little surprising, 3 of our kids won drawings for the books. Since one of them was a little too young to read Harry Potter, we offered the book back for another chance for someone to check out.

The oldest two who are big Harry Potter fans, eagerly waited in line for their books. Our oldest received his copy to read, but when we realized that all of the copies had been checked out and our other son didn't get his copy, I started asking questions. The librarians had this "Oh Crap" look on their face and then went on to say, they'd given away his copy of the book. Their excuse was, he didn't have a library card.

Now of course I know this is bullshit because neither did our oldest son who got his copy and they knew for a fact that I checked it out with my library card. So when I asked pointed that out they had no answer. Instead they asked if they could share the book. Sigh. By this time the look on my other son's face was heartbreaking. His reply was he doubted his brother would share.

Well, of course all of the books where gone, there was nothing we could do, so we left in a pissed off mood. We explained what happened and my oldest son offered to share his copy of the book with his brother. Normally this would not have been a problem, but since they'll go back to Oklahoma this Friday, it doesn't leave much time for reading the book. Sigh. Not a good thing for the librarians to do. Not good at all.

I did get photos, so once I can get those developed, I'll post a few here.