June 25, 2007

The Road Home

The Road Home


Daddy once told me I was crazy for dreaming big, but I just smiled and hummed softly to the words in my head. He left us not long after that. Momma said, "You're so wrong, but you'll always be my little girl." I just smiled and hummed softly to the words in my head as she smiled back at me. It was twenty miles to the nearest town and I was determined to play. There would be no car to get me there, no family or friends to give me a ride. I would walk the twenty miles alone. I would leave before dusk and arrive late that night. I started out that morning, guitar in hand, a smile on my face and a song in my head, and as I began on that long dusty road, I heard my momma weeping, goodbye. Mile after mile, song after song, the road kept on, yet I knew it was the road I was always meant to be on. The road home.
My guitar in hand, I strummed a song, the words in my head. "I go out walkin' after midnight-"


This contest is sponsored by Scribblescratch.com.